Wednesday, April 30, 2014

The Man who does the best by James Whitcomb Riley



The Man who does the best by James Whitcomb Riley

I at last argue that a man
Who does about the best he can
Is plenty good enough to suit
This lower mundane institute-

No matter how his daily walk
Is subject for his neighbor’s talk,
And critic-minds of every whim
Just all get up and go for him!

It's natural enough, I guess,
When some gets more and some gets less,
For them-uns on the slimmest side
To claim it aren’t a fare divide;

And I've known some to lay and wait,
And get up soon, and set up late,
To ketch some feller they could hate
For going' at a faster gait.

My doctrine is to lay aside
Contentious, and be satisfied:
Just do your best, and praise don’t blame
That follers that, counts just the same.

I've at last noticed great success
Is mixed with troubles, more and less,
And it's the man who does the best
That gets more kicks than all the rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment