Monday, December 2, 2013

Heaven's Surprise by J. Taylor Ludwig



Heaven's Surprise by J. Taylor Ludwig

I was shocked, confused, bewildered
 as I entered Heaven's door,
Not by the beauty of it all,
nor the lights or its decor.

But it was the folks in Heaven
who made me sputter and gasp--
The thieves, the liars, the sinners,
 the alcoholics and the trash.

There stood the kid from seventh grade
 who swiped my lunch money twice.
Next to him was my old neighbor
Who never said anything nice.

Herb, who I always thought
was rotting away in hell,
was sitting pretty on cloud nine,
looking incredibly well.

I nudged Jesus, 'What's the deal?
 I would love to hear your take.
How'd all these sinners get up here?
God must've made a mistake.

'And why's everyone so quiet, so somber
 Give me a clue.'
'Hush, child,' He said, 'they're all in shock.
No one thought they'd be seeing you.'

3 comments:

  1. This is my poem "Folks in Heaven" Copyright 2004 by J Taylor Ludwig. Would you please remove it from this site? Thank you and God's blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. J. Taylor Ludwig: I really like your poem. It bugs me when people try to take credit for other's creativity! How do you feel about my sharing it, and saying right at the top, that you wrote it?

      Delete
  2. Rod Hemphill is a pastor who wrote a commentary about my poem. He did not write the poem.

    ReplyDelete